Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Valldalsleden // day 8 // Gautåsætrin - Kongsvoll

Valldalsleden, day 8.
Distance: 28.4km (253.3km).


With my primary goals achieved, having walked both Valldalsleden and Gautstigen, I set my sight on following the pilgrim path over Dovre as the last part of my walk.

From Gautstigen to Eysteinkyrkja church I was back on memory grounds. Where the only difference was the colour of the landscape, as I walked in the fall the last time.

I saw the same rising hills and mountains, the same signposts and information boards, the same indented path on the ground, but the vegetation around me was more verdant. The same journey, but different still.

With enough time to spare, I decided to walk up to the Snøhetta Viewpoint, which offers a great view of the Snøhetta massif. At the same time it was a reminder of everyday life as I had to take my place in a queue. It is modernistic and quite touristic. A herd of musk ox attracted the attention of a family at the binoculars.

Path going through heather and scarce vegetation from Hageseter towards Hjerkinn.

Old boardwalks over the bogs on the approach to Hjerkinn.

Inside the Eysteinkyrkja church.

The Snøhetta Viewpoint.

Snøhetta seen from Tverrfjellet.

Rain hammered down on me on my return, which gave me an excuse for having a cold beer at the motel.

Hjerkinnshøe is the same iconic passing on the Gudbrandsdalsleden. This time I walked up to the eastern summit. In the distance, the views was of showers of rain, another passage here underneath a dramatic sky.

At Kongsvoll I had booked a bed at the pilgrim hostel, but as it was full, I got an ornamented room in one of the old buildings instead. A luxury pilgrim by the look of it.

View back from the walk up Hjerkinnshøe.

View from the eastern summit of Hjerkinnshøe in the direction of Kongsvoll.

Snøhetta seen from the descent from Hjerkinnshøe.

Dramatic skies on the last section of the walk, view back towards Hjerkinnshøe.

Looking down at Kongsvold Fjellstue.

Dinner was shared with two other pilgrims, doing the Gudbrandsdalsleden in stages, they would as me only walk to Oppdal. With history in the walls and its ghosts not seen, the day comes to an end. And then at last, a time where a pilgrim can sit down and rest.

<< Gautåsætrin // day 7Ryphusan // day 9 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts