Thursday, September 25, 2014

Baekdu Daegan // day 22 // Mungyeongeup

Rest day, but not that I sit quietly all the day. I am not too fond of rest days, when I am out on a walk I have a personal drive to keep moving forward. The weather is nice outside when I wake up in the morning, and that is also making me want to continue walking. However, I think it is a good idea to rest now, I have been tired during the last days. Moreover, my shoes are not dry yet either, but now I can at least put them out in the sun to dry. I eat breakfast at a Korean coffee franchise, Angel-in-Us, as they have sandwiches and baguettes for sale. Something it has not been much of on the journey, there are some things that you do miss from back home.

Above Juheulgwan there is a huge film set that is built like an authentic village from the Joseon-period in Korea, it is built by KBS and is frequently used to film period-dramas. Above the film set is the wonky ridge that I was walking over in bad weather yesterday.

I spend the day of rest looking around in the town and the provincial park that the place is the entrance to, Mungyeong Saejae. First however, I have to do some of the 'chores' that is necessary to do during the day. My clothes needs to be washed, a strap on the hip of my backpack has loosened a little bit that I need to fix and my camera bag needs some first aid as well.

A large and fantastic jeongja that I passed by on the Great Yeongnam road. If it was allowed to sleep in it, I would have done so.

From Mungyeongeup the park goes upwards alongside the Chogokcheon-river, squeezed in between the Juheulsan-ridge in the east and the Joryeongsan-ridge in the west. It follows the Yeongnam-road that was built during the Joseon era (1392-1897) to connect the cities of Seoul (then Hanyang) and Busan together. I can enjoy the walk and the scenery a lot more today, due to the nice weather, than I did when I walked down yesterday.

Jogokgwan, the second date.

Not far above Juheulgwan (the first gate) has KBS built a huge film set, an authentic village from the Joseon era in full scale. The film set is frequently used to filming period-dramas. The background to the impressive buildings are also marvellous, I can look up at the ridge that I walked over yesterday in the bad weather, but it does feels kind of empty and lifeless walking through the streets of this village.

A small restaurant set into the forest below the second gate.

At Jogokgwan (the second gate), I have walked far enough for today, even though I have been walking quite slowly. After a better and less wet look at the gate, I sit down and eat lunch, pajeon, at the restaurant that is located somewhat hidden below the gate. It is relaxing sitting there, listening to the soft music and look at the Chogokcheon running quietly by.

Filming a scene for a TV-drama.

I walk through the film set again on the way down; a scene to a TV-drama is being filmed there. Men is costumes are marching in line through the streets, during breaks smart telephones are brought forth from the costumes. Outside the first gate, there is also a small park, which contains a large birdcage. Between Mungyeongeup and the film set there are small tourist trains going; I had at first hoped that it went all the way up to Joryeong, but disappointed had to confess that I was not that lucky.

Dinner at a local restaurant in the evening, hot pepper bacon with a lot of vegetables, good.

I am enjoying my stay in the town, and I spend the rest of the afternoon and evening there. I eat dinner, hot pepper bacon, in a restaurant. Many small dishes with vegetables, rice, tofu soup and roasted bacon. There are still signs, however, that I am tired, I almost fell asleep when I am sitting down at my room in the evening. A nice day of rest.

<- MungyeongeupHaneuljae ->

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts