Saturday, August 21, 2021

Jotunheimstien // day 1 // Sagene - Langvann

Jotunheimstien, day 1.
Distance: 34.8km (34.8km).


As travel abroad was still kind of restricted due to the pandemic, I had to have my eyes on Norway for this year as well. Last year I had no problem knowing what trail to do, it had to be Gudbrandsdalsleden, the pilgrim path to Nidaros. This year, however, was more difficult to decide.

I had no real candidates and as a result, no real motivation either. Eventually I decided to hike the Jotunheimstien and Rondanestien trails. From home in Oslo, my plan was to follow Jotunheimstien on its 380km course to Jotunheimen, afterwards find a way to Hjerkinn and then walk the 480km back to my home again on Rondanestien.

I was not motivated for it.

Walking through Sagene, at the start of my Jotunheimstien hike.

Bridge over Akerselva at Kjelsås.

Funneled path at Hammeren.

Marshy area next to Skjersjøelva.

Øyungen.

The trail officially starts from the centre of Oslo, but I opted to make my own apartment the starting point of my walk, joining the trail as it goes up Akerselva.

On the first day, I ended up at Langvannet, a lake that became famous in Oslo as a shooting location for the last James Bond movie No Time To Die. Not much action there in the evening though, but that suited me fine, I wanted it to be quiet.

For the first two days, I would be walking in familiar places, as Oslo and its surrounding woods, hills and lakes are my backyard so to speak. And that came true when I stopped walking for the day, I had seen everything before.

Not that it made the walk bad, there was just nothing new to see. I walked past the familiar sights of Hammeren, Fagervann, Øyungen and Liggeren Gård. The weather was nice, and it was hot, but I also got some rain at the end of the walk.

Karlshaug Naturreservat (a nature reserve) with its pines, bogs and heather was the least visited part of the walk, but definitely the highlight of the walk. There was even a rainbow adding additionally colours to the views.

Liggeren farm.

Rainbow over Ørfiske.

Bog in Karlshaug Naturreservat.

On Jotunheimstien through Karlshaug.

Langvann.

When I went to bed (or sleeping bag) after a quiet and serene evening, I was still close to home. However, my demotivation was at least temporarily forgotten, I was content with my first steps on Jotunheimstien.

Nedre Snellingen // day 2 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts