Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Jotunheimstien // day 5 // Kvitingsmyrene - Elgsjøen

Jotunheimstien, day 5.
Distance: 31.0km (163.8km).


Given that I tomorrow have to get back home, I walked as far I could to get the closest to the road going to Gjøvik (from where I can take a train back home to Oslo). When I called it the day, I had pitched my tent next to Elgsjøen, approximately 5km away from the road.

The walk had begun in glorious weather over the bogs located at the top of Kvitingen and Glåmhaugen, despite doing nothing to keep my boots dry, but had changed to a paler gray during the walk.

Some subtle changes had started to appear, but the walk seemingly gave me the feeling of returning to a familiar theme. With nice woods and bogs along the way, all beginning to look the same as those I had already passed.

After Skjelbreida, I had passed through the only places with people (although the trail is never extremely far away from civilization, only passing through woods with scarce settlements in between, no shops). The path felt strange, and sometimes untidy, until I had left the last house behind.

Waymarking having been on and off in quality.

A small pond between the bogs at Kvitingsmyrene.

Kvitingsmyrene.

Descent to Skjelbreida.

A hut at Skjersjøen.

On the way towards, Mæhlumsetra, boardwalks over the bogs.

Cows protested my passing over Lunnasetervollen with the view pale and grim over the woods. And then I yet again walked with this strange feeling of walking through a strange nowhere-land (or forest).

Sun had made its reappearance when I struggled to get my stove going in the strong wind next to an open cabin at Skjersjøen.

With the exception of the two people that I met at Mæhlumsetra, I had not met anyone during the day. Mæhlumsetra, an unserved cabin run by the Norwegian trekking association (DNT), looked like a cosy little den to stay for the night. The surrounding landscape was nice.

The ensuing walk had finally seen me walking through some light and not the usual dark wooods, and was a scenic walk over the ever-present bogs. I only tried to forget the part where forestry work had been at play.

At the end, evening sun had shone through the clouds, and I found a spot next to the lake, the only company nearby being some bleating sheep and the now steady wind.

Lake in Tjernsmyra.

Mæhlumsetra.

More bogs and boardwalks after Mæhlumsetra.

View ahead from Øgårdssætra.

Elgsjøen.

I fell asleep listening to the trees creaking in the wind above me and my tent.

<< Kvitingsmyrene // day 4Mustadroa // day 6 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts