Sunday, August 22, 2021

Jotunheimstien // day 2 // Langvann - Nedre Snellingen

Jotunheimstien, day 2.
Distance: 36.7km (71.5km).


The second day on Jotunheimstien made me wake up to a beautiful morning with smoke drifting across the lake, not gun smoke from James Bond though, only frost smoke. Langvann lies a little bit off route, so at first, I had to backtrack to be on the trail again.

I ended up walking with wet shoes almost the whole day, as instead of crossing the busy road going through Nittedal, the trail took a little bit of a detour to go to an underpass. The new route was fine at first, but I soon found myself walking deep in water. On the way back, I will take the old route over the road.

Nordmarka was left behind when I climbed up into Romeriksåsene. This was also familiar places to me, where the biggest change was how little water there was in Storøyungen due to some maintenance work on the dam.

That the trail actually goes past Bekkestua does feel a bit strange, as it will give those not staying at the DNT cabin a longer walk. Having almost to walk back and forth the same way, coming back to Storøyungen almost where you left it.

Frost smoke over Langvann in the morning.

Hakadalselva.

Kirkebyvangen, remains of an old farm.

Crossing a bog near Storøyungen.

Djupøyungen.

At the cabin, however, I had a nice meeting with a young couple that had walked the trail in stages earlier. They warned me about extensive logging later that could make navigation difficult.

From the ensuing part of the trail, the walk over Rudskampen was the best part. This is also another area with pines spreading their gnarled forms over the landscape.

I walked past Store Snellingen, contemplating finding a place to camp next to the lake, but I decided to try to push ahead to Avalsjøen. I had a short moment of regret when I arrived at the Snellingen cabin, seeing that time had raced ahead.

In the end, things worked out well (it would have done anyway). At a nearby cabin, I saw there was somebody present and on an impulse I asked about how far it was to go to Avalsjøen lake.

Instead, I was told I could pitch my tent outside and then invited in for some food and drinks.

On the path up towards Rudskampen.

Rudskampen.

Råbjørn.

Sunset over the woods before Snellingen.

Snellingen farm.

I had a really nice evening, getting far more than I bargained for. It was also real nice to see such great hospitality back home, after having similar experiences on my walks abroad.

<< Langvann // day 1Lygna // day 3 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts