Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Jotunheimstien // day 4 // Lygna - Kvitingsmyrene

Jotunheimstien, day 4.
Distance: 26.4km (132.8km).


No predetermined destination for the fourth day on the Jotunheimstien trail, the only goal I had was to reach a certain distance. Meaning I had no clue as to where my walking would lead me to by the end of the day. That was at least one excitement I had for this day.

When day had changed to night, my excitement had brought me to a nice place to camp in the bogs of Kvitingsmyrene. The walk there had been another combination of the same scenery I had seen in the previous days. Forest aplenty, but still, some variations did appear at times.

In hot weather, the first hours after Lygna had me walking next to the road (badly waymarked and noisy), before I returned to the common mix of forest paths and gravel tracks. I passed by some abandoned buildings at Kortungen, made clear by the quarry close by.

A very short walk brought back some memories from my pilgrimage to Trondheim last year, during a brief moment on the Kjølvegen track leading up to Høgkorsplassen.

Then a quiet place had suddenly appeared in a clearing, with the strange name of Flyndra (flounder). What probably was an old forest farm before, now looked like a strange cabin in the deep of the forest.

Kortungen. With a quarry appearing next door, no wonder this place got deserted, although I believe people left it before the quarry appeared.

View from near Flyndra.

Walking next to a tidy farm at Runden.

Randsfjorden.

Hauktjernet, the Gjøvikbanen railway line goes in the hill behind.

I enjoyed the walk past the last farm at Runden with its flowers, arranged farm buildings and pleasant surroundings, before heading through tall grass with views over Randsfjorden. The next section saw me walking another strange section next to the railway between Oslo and Gjøvik.

As rain approached, I had my lunch at the remotely looking Hauktjernet lake (probably not remote at all). The feeling when I had walked further was of being in strange woods outside of everything.

Deep forest paths led me close to the Nordre Gulsjøen lake, then I started on the ascent towards Kvitingen. While light rain fell from the sky, the light behind was beautiful on the way up. A mixture of rain and sun always bring special colours to the views.

At the summit of Kvitingen (722m), I met up with two locals. It was a nice meeting and worried about the water I carried with me, they offloaded some they had to me.

As daylight dwindled, I found a perfect spot for my tent in this landscape dominated by bogs. Next to a small lake, there was an elevated flat rock where further up I found a good pitch for my tent.

Path through the woods in Hadelandsmarka.

Nordre Gulsjøen.

View from Kvitingen.

At the summit of Kvitingen (722m).

Sunset, Kvitingsmyrene.

With scattered rain, dispersed clouds on the sky and light in the horizon, the view took on a magical tone. Every now and then I had to step into the soft bog with my naked feet to catch a moment with my camera.

<< Lygna // day 3Elgsjøen // day 5 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts