Saturday, August 31, 2019

Der Traumpfad // day 12 // Olperer

Der Traumpfad, day 12.
Distance: 7.9km (233.5km), time spent: 4:57.
Weather: Sunny and cloudy.


This was a wild idea that come out of the blue to me yesterday evening. All the time when I had looked at the maps and moved my way hither, both the name of the peak and the tall peak itself above had fascinated me in a way. The Olperer, the main summit on the Tux Crest (Tuxer Kamm), first climbed by Paul Grohmann, Georg Samer and Gainer Jackl on the 10th of September 1867. Assured by the staff at the Olpererhütte that both the weather forecast would be favorable and that it was possible to do to the climb without any safety equipment, the idea turned into reality. I do not need a tiny dream version of Leonardo DiCaprio to plant ideas in my mind to make me do them, I am perfectly capable of doing that myself. Be it wise or not.

View of the Olperer above.

The path too the summit is only marked as far as a junction, from where the markings continue up to the summit of Riepenkopf. From where the signpost points to the direction of Olperer, there are none, but the path would be fairly distinct I was told. I should from the junction climb up the crest, cross a glacier and then follow the crest of a steep ridge all the way up to the summit. I should have time enough to make the climb, go down and reach Stein afterwards.

Clouds flowing like a shroud over the Olperer.

A marvellous view down from the climb.

A clear blue sky is dominating above, the weather is absolutely lovely as I set off in the morning, but there are some clouds up there to be aware of. From the Olpererhütte, the path is well signed, heading fairly straight up the mountainside above the cabin. Quickly the surface looses its greenness and becomes more rocky. High up, both the Olperer and Gefrorene-Wand-Spitzen wear a cap of clouds, but there are also wind up there, shaking off veils of clouds. Views down at the Schlegeisspeicher lake and the mountains behind with Hochfeiler are getting ever more impressive. After around 45 minutes of walking I arrive at the junction where I will leave the waymarked path towards Riepenkopf, no more waymarkers from me. I can see a group of people up at Riepenkopf.

Sunlight reflection creating a halo around a watersource below.

With the waymarkings gone, the path starts to make its way through larger stones. Although not as clear a path as before, the way I must go is quite apparent. I can use the larger stones as stairs, but must be careful not to tip any unstable of them over. Things get steeper, things get further down, and clouds are coming closer. I reach the glacer I am supposed to cross, opting to go around it instead of over. A good choice, otherwise I would not have spotted the special halo the sun created when being reflected on a creek far below. Looked like an optical illusion.

Final crest towards the summit of Olperer.

Cable wires up to the final crest.

After the glacier, the crest becomes steeper, but then there are no misgivings about where to go. On the right hand side, it goes fairly straight down towards the Hintertux Glacier below. People are skiing on the glacier. Further down I had passed by a small group of people, now I pass by a young man with two young women, in the process of putting on safety equipment (quite like via ferrata equipment), just before the path comes to the serious part.

Looking down at the Hintertux Glacier from the climb up, there are people skiing on the glacier below.

A steel cable leads up the left hand side of the crest, giving aid up the steep climb on and over large boulders. Most of it are easy climbing, but when I come to an overhang, I reach a conclusive spot. Either to continue on or turn back. It is an overhang and in order to continue, I have to lift myself up using a steel pin above. Climbing up would be no problem, but I am unsure if I will be able to see where to put my feet on the way back. A fall here will be critical.

View back down to the climb up.

I put my camera in my backpack (my small foldable backpack that I always carry with me) and makes the climb, stopping at the top to ascert how I could come down again (it is too late anyway, as I am already up, but I like to be prepared anyway). From there the rest of the climb up to the summit is almost all on steep inclines, going over or around boulders and cliffs. It is very steep down on both sides, but it is worst on my right side.

The gipfelkreuz at the summit of Olperer at 3476m.

About two hours and twenty minutes since I left Olpererhütte, I reach the summit giving name to the cabin, Olperer at 3476m. The views are extensive in all directions. I was lucky with my time of arrival, the summit being free of clouds when I come. Three other people are at the summit, two of them wearing climbing gear, required by the other route coming up from the Hintertux Glacier. From the top, I can follow almost all the crests, ridges, peaks and passes that I have passed over on my way so far, all the way back to the line of mountains in the horizon, the Karwendel Alps.

View from the summit of Olperer in the direction I have come from on Der Traumpfad, the Karwendel Alps all the way in the back.

I stay for a little bit at the summit and the gipfelkreuz, taking in the magnificent views, then I head down again. Having already climbed up on the crest, makes it easier to go down the same way again. The group I passed by earlier are now up at the crest, having to wait for me to come down from an exposed section before they can continue climbing. In front of them, they have a guide laying out ropes for them to use, I did not have that luxury.

At the summit of Olperer.

At the overhang I had before taken a good luck on how to get down again, and it went better than it looked like it would do from below. Below the cables, I meet again the young man and women from before. I did not see them at the summit, but they were clearly preparing themselves for the climb up earlier. When I ask them about it, they answer no in such a rather quick and stern fashion that I feel it best to leave them be.

Steep inclines on the climb, at the back you can see a climber on another route to the summit (which requires climbing equipment).

A group climbing an exposed section, after I have come down from it.

Down again, I cross over the glacier, which goes fine, although there are some wet patches here and there. Another hiker sits at the edge of it, putting on crampons. Somehow I end up taking a different way down from there, but as it is not difficult to see where I need to go, I end up at the waymarked path again. I arrive down at the Olpererhütte in time for lunch, a well-deserved portion of kaiserschmarrn.

The climber and the glacier, a man putting on crampons before going over the glacier.

So extremely glad that I made the climb, but despite that I have not got vertigo and love scrambling, part of it was just a little bit at the edge of my own comfort zone.

The path above the Olpererhütte on the way down.

<< Riepenkar // day 11Stein // day 12 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts