Friday, September 3, 2021

Jotunheimstien // day 11 // Storkvolv - Oskampen

Jotunheimstien, day 11.
Distance: 26.4km (318.8km).


On the penultimate day on Jotunheimstien, I had walked to the Oskampen cabin.

The day had started all so unexpectedly, as I had woken up to a grey and shrouded weather outside, with imminent rain approaching. Quite contrary to the forecast I had received at Liomseter, which was for all good weather, but then again. Weather can change fast in the mountains.

Initially, I had been a little bit disgruntled when the rain had started, having felt annoyed that I should get the worst weather on the trail in the best part of it. I had, however, soon gotten over it and started enjoying my walk. Despite the low clouds and rain drifting across the landscape, the views were nice.

It even had added some dramatic flair to it.

I had hiked here before, some years ago, but in this weather, there were not much that I could remember from that time.

Storkvolvbua in the morning, last light before the rain.

Rain over Langsua.

An opening appears in the rain, revealing mountains in the distance.

Rainbow before Storhøpiggen and Storhøa.

Clouds and light, Brennhøa.

At least not until the rain had started abating and blue sky had pierced through the clouds, spawning rainbows over the Svarttjønn lake. Storhøpiggen (1434m) and Storhøa (1420m) lies behind and I remembered that I had walked between those two peaks in my previous hike here.

I had lunch at the DNT cabin in the old farm of Storhøliseter, while drying up a little after the rain. This is a cosy little cabin with a nice farmyard outside, overlooking the boggy expanse the trail crosses over afterwards.

Before the path reaches Øyangen, it traverses a section of bogs and marsh land, getting my shoes wet was unavoidable. Of the final walk to Oskampen, this had been the most memorable, as I had not felt that excited about the walk next to the Øyangen lake.

While I had walked next to the lake, I could see that it was still raining to the south of me. Here I had walked underneath the sun and it had got warm.

Crossing over Vinstra with Storhøliseter and Storhøpiggen behind.

On the path towards Øyangen.

Langtjønna.

Oskampen cabin.

Sunset at Oskampen.

Cows had watched my final steps to the cabin. And almost for the first time on the trail, there were other people where I was staying. A father with his two sons, all grown-ups, were also staying at the cabin, which made for a social evening (probably for the greater good, preparing me for the next evening, when I would be at the Gjendesheim cabin).

<< Storkvolv // day 10Gjende // day 12 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts