Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Jotunheimstien // day 9 // Skjellbreida - Slivatnet

Jotunheimstien, day 9.
Distance: 30.3km (263.2km).


This cabin I had booked in advance prior to setting forth on the second part of my walk on Jotunheimstien. I had arrived at the Vestfjellhytta cabin pummeled by wind as my mood has gone better by the appearance of the first mountains on the trail.

It was a moment long awaited for when I finally could smell that peculiar clean air of the mountains, and had looked back over the woods, hills, and lakes that I had walked through earlier.

I had had no other choice but to climb up to the top of Gammelhans, one of the summits of the Skjellbreida mountain. No regret afterwards either. Not a major peak at any point, at 1066m, but had still been up in the mountains.

Although after having walked for a while in great spirit with the open views and blankets of heather around me, passing by the mountain farms of Nysetra, it was back to the woods and bogs again.

At Bentsetra, with nice views over Dokkfløyvatnet, I met two women trying to herd some cows on the run back to their enclosure.

View back from the climb up Skjellbreidafjellet.

At Skjellbreidafjellet.

Nysetra.

Dokkfløyvatnet.

A bridge after Kittilbua.

From the Kittilbua cabin, which was under maintenance, the trail had gone through a section denoted a cultural path. I had at that time felt slightly robbed of being in the mountains, but it had been a nice walk. First going past old farms, then through the woods, although there had been some confusion regarding where the path went.

I had walked looking longingly up at the mountains nearby, Ormtjønnkampen. Looking at my map and eagerly awaited climbing up Obleikhaugen, yearning for the views. At first, I had felt disappointing, but a lookout tower at the top saved the climb.

The lookout tower had felt a tiny bit wobbly, but the views was worth the wobbly feeling.

Woods had returned, but now mountain birch had started dominating. Wind had picked up and at the summit of Grytlifjellet (1055m) my hair was either in my eyes or flowing behind me depending on which way I gazed.

Vestfjellhytta is a relatively new, and modern, cabin. And by all means, it was nice, it just felt so big for one person, and I confess that a part of me would have wanted to stay in my tent instead.

Old mountain farm at Dokkfløy near Kittilbua, part of a mountain museum.

View from the top of the lookout tower at Obleikhaugen.

View from Grytlifjellet.

Sunset, Vestfjellhytta.

Eating dinner, bacalao, at Vestfjellhytta.

Still, I had a nice evening while the wind made sure of making sounds outside.

<< Skjellbreida // day 8Storkvolv // day 10 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts