Thursday, September 2, 2021

Jotunheimstien // day 10 // Slivatnet - Storkvolv

Jotunheimstien, day 10.
Distance: 29.2km (292.4km).


The first day that I felt was a full day in the mountains, although there were sections of forests on this walk as well. At the end of the walk, I had again abandoned my tent and was located inside the Storkvolvbua cabin with the wind outside making the walls creak.

When the Jotunheimstien trail finally heads up into the mountains it will be the Vestfjell area it encounters first, before passing through Langsua National Park until the jagged peaks of Jotunheimen stands before the walker.

It had become a day of two halves. The first half consisted of the walk to the Liomseter staffed cabin and the second half of the walk from there to Storkvolvbua in Langsua.

An open area of bogs and wide views had greeted me after I had left Vestfjellhytta and the nearby mountain farm of Nysetra. Marking the beginning of another section of forest, was another old farm, the remote Grytlia.

Thankfully the walk through the forest had been dominated by mountain birch and no tall and dark trees.

Nysetra, with Vestfjellhytta in the background.

Grytlia.

Walking over Suluhø with the central massif of the Langsua National Park ahead.

View from the summit of Nordre Suluhø.

Lunch at Liomseter, cured meat and sour cream porridge, along with a local beer brew.

Before the descent to Liomseter, I had felt the wind in my hair again over Nordre Suluhø. In the far horizon, I had been able to discern the peaks of the Jotuns.

At Liomseter, another mountain cabin run by DNT, I had stopped for a long break. There was no need for a long break, but I had wanted to. After a couple of locally brewed beers and a plate of cured meat with sour cream porridge, I had begun my climb up into the higher reaches of Langsua.

Langsua might not be as spectacular as Jotunheimen or Rondane, adhering more to the term pleasant than strenuous and steep. It is still mountains and I felt more in my right element than I ever had on my hike so far.

Definitely the highlight of the trail so far, although the wind had given me some resistance.

As the sun had declined behind the mountain, I had descended the short walk down to the Storkvolvbua cabin. No one there except for me.

Going through mountain birch on the way up Vakkerlifjellet.

View from Langsua.

The path through Langsua.

Vietjønnet, Storhøpiggen and Storhøa behind.

Light before evening at Langsua.

As night had descended, I had not regretted staying at the cabin, sitting inside with candles lit and a good fire in the oven. Looking out the windows at the mountain beneath, listening to the wind playing songs with the wooden walls.

<< Slivatnet // day 9Oskampen // day 11 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

popular posts